It's finally that time of year again! I dusted off the cross country skis, warmed up the boots and broke out the snow pants; Mako and I took an afternoon tour of Turnagain Pass today. The temperatures were a bit chilly, so Mako got to wear her sporty new vest, which elieve it or not Target has a nice selection of dog vests. Maybe we'll get her a puffy vest if its still there next time. For today though, she was actually happy to wear it, because it was a cool 14 degrees. Granted we weren't out there too long, but once the blood was pumping it didn't seem that cold.
We started the tour in mid-afternoon with the sun already low on the horizon, which made for a beautiful pink sky and some long shadows. It makes me a little nervous to think that those shadows are only going to get longer for the next month or so. I guess it's time to put away the sunblock. Mixed in this set of pictures is one of the Turnagain Arm Inlet and all the small ice bergs floating around. It's a unique inlet due to the extreme tides and the freezing temperatures that leave these stranded ice bergs sitting on the silty bottom. Twice a day it creates a pretty dramatic landscape.
A couple weeks ago I went up to Virgin Creek for a few pictures of the frozen creek and it's mossy sides. Just picture a rainforest that reaches 20 degees with the moss crystilized and strange looking icicles hanging everywhere. There wasn't much sun in creek valley, but I came away with a few fun shots. I hope you enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment